OIP Mission Statement:
The mission of the Office of International Programs (OIP) is to promote international education, development, programming, and collaboration among faculty and staff at the University of Northern Iowa and help prepare students and graduates to thrive in a diverse global environment. In addition, OIP serves to enhance the experience of internationals on the campus by assisting them to succeed in their academic goals and social adjustment to campus. OIP recognizes that intercultural competence for all UNI students, faculty, and staff is important for their knowledge development and personal growth and is considered a life-long process.
This mission encompasses a variety of activities including, but not limited to, the following:
- Offer students, faculty, and staff opportunities for international engagement.
- Negotiate joint and dual degree programs with international partner institutions.
- Serve as an international education resource for the UNI community and beyond.
- Promote and support international research collaborations between UNI faculty and faculty at partner institutions.
- Increase awareness and appreciation of a diverse world where all are interdependent.
- Support and facilitate the stay of international visitors and scholars on the UNI campus.
- Support programming for internationals and others on the UNI campus.
- Support quality intensive academic English language instruction and cultural orientation to the United States, in preparation for study at UNI or another institution of higher learning.
- Develop and maintain an institutional climate for internationalization on the UNI campus.
- Support efforts that lead to recruitment of internationals to the UNI campus.
- Support efforts to integrate internationalization of existing programs on the UNI campus.