U.S. Immigration

Since understanding U.S. immigration laws can be challenging, this section provides visa information for temporary visitors and the web sites of U.S. Embassies for further inquiries.

U.S. Department of State Visas Welcome to the Visa section of travel.state.gov, an official source of information about the U.S. visa policy and procedures. Use this site to learn about different types of U.S. visas, the application process, and to better understand the requirements when applying for a visa, when you are planning to travel to the U.S.

U.S. Department of State Visa Types for Temporary Visitors There are various types of nonimmigrant visas for temporary visitors to travel to the U.S. It is important to have information about the type of nonimmigrant visa you will need for travel, and the steps required to apply for the visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.

U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor (J) Visas Overview of the Exchange Visitor Visa, required documentation, and application procedure.

U.S. Department of State Student (F) Visas Applying for an F1 or M1 student visa, processing requirements, and Optional Practical Training information.

U.S. Department of State Websites of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions The State Department presents the list of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions by world region.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Student Visas Information on F and M visa categories for students and host institutions.

Travel, Study and Work in the U.S. - Official information from the U.S. government on getting and leaving the U.S., travel and touring the U.S., and working in the U.S.  

*The links to non-UNI Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement. Users are encouraged to use search engines and to visit UNI faculty and staff to identify additional information.*